Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:28:17 +0100

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 15:04 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> that I've lawfully made: I can distribute them as I see fit (apart
> from rental) without the authority of the copyright owner. There's no
> copyright infringement and there's no contract violation ("no contract"
> says FSF). That's it.

If you fetch 20 copies of some GPl'ed software, you can give away
_those_ 20 copies in the manner you wish.

But for each and every one of those you do so, you have to decrement the
counter. Give one, you keep 19. Until you get to 0.

But if you have one copy, and you distribute copies of it, you're making
a copyright violation.

In the earlier case, you may still be sued (and reading the history of
your posts here would give a quite interesting character report) for
trying to work around copyright law, so maybe still liable.

But that's hypothetical. All you say is simply laughable, if it didn't
smell of bad intention.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?