Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:51:02 +0200

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
[...]
> Promises regarding distribution are totally baside the point. We
> are talking about *unilateral* grant, not a contract:
>
> http://gl.scofacts.org/gl-20031214210634851.html
>
> <quote author=Moglen>
>
> The GPL, however, is a true copyright license: a unilateral
> permission, in which no obligations are reciprocally required by
> the licensor.
>
> </quote>
>
> Distribution is done under 17 USC 109, not GPL.

I hear that (plonked) GNUtian dak still can't grasp the difference
between *unilateral* stuff and contractual agreements in exchange
of promises. The promise to relinquish the distribution right that
I enjoy under the copyright law (17 USC 109), and distribute only
as mandated by the licensor, is a (imaginary or not) consideration
(AFAICS missed by Ben Giles), but it's totally beside the point
under Moglens theory "in which no obligations are reciprocally
required by the licensor". Note also that idiotic Section 5 (which
blatantly misstates the copyright law) is somewhat at odds with
dak's ad-hoc attempt to fix moronic Moglens theory.

regards,
alexander.

P.S. http://google.com/groups?selm=411A6B29.92A082DC@web.de