Re: GPL and other licences

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:04:42 +0100

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    > You are speaking about duplicating a physical entity, not
>    > duplicating the software.  If you can show me a method to
>    > duplicate a CD that contains GNU hello, N times, then you have a
>    > point.  And you will get the Nobel price at the same time.
>
>    So what?  If you use a company CD burner to move company software
>    to a company CDR which you then use on a company computer in the
>    field, how does this CD or its contents magically become the
>    property of the company worker?
>
> Software cannot ever become property.  What the heck are you arguing
> about?  You have already claimed things like `stealing' software.  If
> you give me a CD with software on it (legally), then I am entitled to
> making a copy of the software, keep it on my box, and distribute it
> under the license that the software is licensed under.

A company employee is not free to do whatever he wants with company
property (such as a software CD) that he needs for doing his job.

He is not the rightful owner.

If you are an employee of mine and get access to software in my
possession for the purpose of job, you are not permitted to make
copies for your private use.

>    Do you even remember what you try to be arguing about?
>
> Yes, do you?  You have already made claims that one `steals
> software', and now that `software is property'; I'd really you of
> all people to know the differenence between these things.

A tangible copy _is_ property, and getting company-internal access to
it does not grant you the rights connected with owning this property:
namely copying its contents.