Re: EU antitrust and the GPL

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: EU antitrust and the GPL
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:42:13 +0000

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 17:21 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> >         -    A royalty-free requirement does not imply that the price of
> >         the software must be zero.
>
> Then what does it imply?
>
> >                                    Software can be priced through other
> >         means than copyright royalties as well.
>
> But other means would not price software, they would price
> something else.

No. They price software too. Ever heard of Total Cost of Ownership? The
price of the license is usually a very small percent and usually not the
deciding factor.

Today I heard at the company I work at about betting on Nagios(tm),
which they "bought". They didn't buy it in the sense of licensing but in
the sense of the man-hours spent deploying and developing know-how.

> >         -    Copyleft clause does not affect all further “production of
> >         goods and servicesâ€.
>
> But the regulation doesn't say that ALL further "production of
> goods and services" must be affected for a license to be in
> violation.
>
> Software is a good on its own.

But the cost of licensing is (usually) not _THE_ factor. And that's the
point.

Rui