Re: Should the FSF back monopolisation by M$?

From: Tarquin Mills
Subject: Re: Should the FSF back monopolisation by M$?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:13:29 GMT

In message <85fyk4l30v.fsf@lola.goethe.zz> David Kastrup wrote:
> Tarquin Mills <accus@use.net> writes:
> >>
> >> It does neither mean that I back all my neighbors or am against all of
> >> them if I happen not to try bedding them.
> >>
> >> Microsoft is by and large irrelevant to free software as long as
> >> they don't indulge in business practices that harm free software,
> >> like pressuring vendors into producing hardware that is incapable
> >> of running it.
> >
> > We are all part of the world and connected to each other, the Linux
> > magazines cannot exist without readers and adverts, the same is true
> > of other Linux companies including distros.
>
> So what?  Free software existed before Linux, and certainly before
> "the Linux magazines" and their "readers and adverts".  The majority
> of free software _developers_ whose work gets collected in "distros"
> is not employed by Linux companies.  And Linux companies don't compete
> in that segment of the market that Microsoft is monopolizing, anyway.

According to a NYLXS radio program about 93-94% of the Linux kernel is
written by people who are being paid. GNU/Linux, FSF's GNU Hurd and
Microsoft's Windows are all in the same market, operating systems.

--
http://www.windowshaters.co.uk
Start an investigation into Microsoft http://www.petitiononline.com/oftsucks/