NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 30 May 2006 NYLUG: Important General Meeting

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 30 May 2006 NYLUG: Important General Meeting
Date: 29 May 2006 13:57:56 -0400

  what="official NYLUG announcement">

 From: Ron Guerin <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 09:30:01 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] TOMORROW! NYLUG May Volunteer Mtg (5/25 & 5/30):
        NYLUG on The NY Linux Users Group

 Thursday May 25th, 2006 &
 Tuesday May 30th, 2006
 6:30pm-7:30pm (dinner starting around 8pm)
 Winter Garden
 World Financial Center
 New York, NY

 Please note: These meetings are not at IBM, our regular meeting space,
              and there is no RSVP list for these meetings.

                              N Y L U G
                                -on-
                    The New York Linux Uses Group
                         (volunteer meeting)

   This month, instead of reaching out to the world, we're going to
   turn our focus inward.  Not since November 2000, has there been a
   gathering of NYLUG about NYLUG.  This month we're going to do it
   twice! Last held in November 2000, these meetings will be an
   opportunity to give your input, creativity, and effort to the
   group, and help shape its future direction.

     * Kind of meetings/events NYLUG holds
     * Events NYLUG attends
     * Updating the NYLUG logo
     * The new NYLUG web site
     * RSVP software
     * Job listings software
     * Any other ideas

   Our first word in January 1999 was fittingly,  "Hello" and we've
   gotten together at least once in each of the last eighty-eight
   months. Your help will make the next eighty-eight even better than
   the first eighty-eight.

   First, please join us this month at 6:30pm at the Winter Garden at
   the World Financial Center, to discuss various projects and ideas
   about NYLUG.  We'll be meeting directly at the tables in the Winter
   Garden, or outside at the corner of Park Place and Broadway at
   6:20pm.

   We are also seeking volunteers for three new coordinator teams:

     * Web team (graphics, content, coding)
     * Publicity team (announcements, flyers, etc.)
     * Media team (meeting videos, photos, audio, streaming)

   Afterward, around 7:30pm, we will migrate somewhere for dinner.
   (suggestions to info@nylug.org )

   Meeting Dates: May 25, 2006 from 6:30pm to 7:30pm
                  May 30, 2006 from 6:30pm to 7:30pm

   "Hello":
      http://nylug.org/mlist/nylug-talk_mhonarc/1999/msg01728.html

   Last Volunteer Meeting:
      http://www.nylug.org/archive/nylug-talk/2000-11/msg00234.html

 Time and Place:

   We will meet outside for those unfamiliar with the Winter Garden at
   6:20pm at the corner of Broadway and Park Place, then will go
   inside to meet up at 6:30pm at the Winter Garden.

 Maps:

   Broadway & Park Place:
 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Broadway+and+Park+Place,+NY&om=1
     (or http://tighturl.com/af )

   The World Financial Center & Winter Garden:
     http://www.worldfinancialcenter.com/maps/?id=34

 Helpful photos of the Winter Garden:

   http://nylug.org/images/wgthumb1.jpg
   http://nylug.org/images/wgthumb2.jpg

 Directions:

   Trains: A, C, E, N, R, J, M, Z, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
   Buses: M1, M6, M9, M15, M22, M103, B51, X25

   A & C trains: Take the train to Chambers street. Once you exit,
   you will need to walk one block East towards Broadway. Once you
   hit Broadway, simply walk 1 or 2 blocks south.

   E trains: Take the train to the World Trade Center, exit onto
   Church Street and walk north to Vesey St.; turn left and continue
   across West St. to the WFC.

   N & R trains: Take the train to City Hall. Once you exit, you will
   simply need to 1 block south.

   1 train: Take the train to Rector St., exit onto Greenwich Street
   and walk north to Liberty St.; turn left and continue to the WFC.

   PATH trains: Take to the World Trade Center, exit onto Church
   Street and walk north to Vesey St.; turn left and walk across West
   St. to the WFC.

   2 & 3 trains: Take the train to Park Place. Once you exit, you need
   to walk 1 or 2 blocks toward Broadway.

   4, 5, 6, J, M, & Z trains: Take the train to Brooklyn Bridge City
   Hall (or Chambers street for J, M & Z). You will need to walk East
   along Chambers St. Once you reach Broadway just walk 3 blocks down
   to Park Place.

   M1 & M6 Buses (UPTOWN DIRECTION): Try to get off as near as
   possible to Park Place. and simply walk one block east to Broadway.

   M1 & M6 Buses (DOWNTOWN DIRECTION): Try to get of as near as
   possible to Park Place.

   M15, M22, M103, B51, X25 (All directions): Get off at Park Row, and
   simply walk west till you hit Broadway, and 1 block north to Park
   Place.

   M9: to South End Avenue

   M20 or M22: to North End Avenue

 About The New York Linux Users Group:

   Founded in December 1998 by Jim Gleason and Eric Berg, the New
   York Linux Users Group (NYLUG.org), supports all things Linux,
   Free Software, and Open Source in the greater New York area.
   Members are Linux enthusiasts who come to the meetings and
   installfests, subscribe to a mailing list, and/or participate
   in other NYLUG events.  Its events have included an annual holiday
   party, a sponsored meeting in a restaurant, appearances at trade
   shows, dinners, and movie outings. Membership is free and open
   to the public.

 Dinner:

   After the meeting ... Join us around 8pm or so for a post meeting
   meal at a location yet to be determined.

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.