Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:37:23 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> the Berne convention is about.  However, he does not have the right to
>> restrict a user's freedom to use, modify, improve and distribute
>> software that its respective author chose to license under the GPL.
>> That's what the GPL is about.
>
> Now tell me how Gottfried's LiMath_Optimierung released as shareware
> is supposed "to restrict a user's freedom to use, modify, improve and
> distribute GPL'd software" (GLPK) "that its respective author chose to
> license under the GPL". Better, piss off and go read the book.

It appears that I am _already_ pissing you off.  Anyway: his shareware
contains GPLed parts then, and I don't see how the user can modify,
improve and distribute those parts while retaining a working
executable.  Even if shared libraries were used, he can't, for
example, choose to change the call interface in order to get better
performance.