Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:03:31 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> It appears that I am _already_ pissing you off.  Anyway: his shareware
> contains GPLed parts then, and I don't see how the user can modify,
> improve and distribute those parts while retaining a working
> executable.

Uh. And what does "retaining a working executable" have to do with
users ability to modify, improve and distribute the GPL parts? Make
your own executable employing the modified GPL parts.

>             Even if shared libraries were used, he can't, for
> example, choose to change the call interface in order to get better
> performance.

He can change the GLPK call interface and write his own program to
get better performance. Or just pay Gottfried for modified version of
*Gottfried's* program (adaptation under 17 USC 117 aside for a
moment) to use the modified GLPK call interface. Stop trying to
expand the scope of rights under the GPL to infect works under
independent copyright (in this case, Gottfried's program). This is
copyright misuse.

regards,
alexander.