Re: Poor GPL-Enforcers

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Poor GPL-Enforcers
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:37:33 +0200

> Hey ams, BusyBox aside for a moment, Welte has a plan!
>
> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/186944/0ccd89b5598e797f/
>
> -----
> What is most interesting about having some organization backing this
> project, is that we can actually do "more interesting" legal action
> than I can do now. So far, we've only enforced very clear cases, from
> a legal point of view. Until now, gpl-violations.org has not helped
> to produce any legal precedents on important questions such as
> derivative works or binary-only kernel modules. However, after funding
> the organization later this year, and thus the legal risk landing on
> that organization rather than me personally, I could very much imagine
> that we would look into getting some court decisions on that area, too.
> So stay tuned, there is probably an exciting time ahead in the next
> couple of years ;)
> -----
>
> Dear GNUtians amd and dak, hurry up and help the hero Welte do "more
> interesting" legal actions. It'll finally put an end to your
> bluffing and invalidate the whole scheme once and for all... in
> effect, putting the entire GPL'd code base into quasi public domain
> (unenforceability due to unlawful contract terms -- copyright misuse
> and all that).

Reminds me of a story where a television meteorologist was annoyed
since people preferred the forecasts of an old shepherd who had a
considerable better prediction rate for the weather, almost double.
Finally the TV man broke down and went to the shepherd and asked him
how he did it.  The shepherd said: "Simple.  I just listen to your
forecast, and then predict the opposite."

It is similarly easy to predict the outcome of court cases based on
your expertise.  Your track record on predicting the outcome of
GPL-related lawsuits is pretty consistent.