Re: Something about Less General Public License

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Something about Less General Public License
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:53:39 +0200

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
[...]
> > External factors are totally irrelevant. Copyright is about expression,
> > not dependencies. No MS DirectX program can function without MS DirectX
> > (broken and incomplete WINE stuff aside for a moment), but that doesn't
> > make DirectX programs derivative works of DirectX.
>
> If they are unable to function without including DirectX in their memory
> segment, becoming one single program, then they _are_ in fact a
> derivative.

Only in the GNU Republic (whatever "one single program" means in the
GNU Republic).

> It's like a book that is unreadable without adding the pages from
> another book.

Likewise (whatever "unreadable" means in the GNU Republic).

> DirectX's license certainly allows linking said software with other
> licenses or it wouldn't be used at all.

Uh, you made me waste half a gig of bandwidth to download the SDK.

Guess what? MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS for MICROSOFT DIRECTX
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT say nothing about linking.

regards,
alexander.