Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:47:50 +0200

Karen Hill wrote:

> "I think, of the 500 distributions tracked by DistroWatch, probably 450
> of them are in trouble right now per this position.",

Criminal penalties (costs plus attorney's fees in a civil action aside for
a moment), per FSF's own theory of enforcement through cause of action for
copyright infringement (not breach of contract claim), that results in

  statutory_damages =
     court_considers_just("not less than $750 or more than $30,000") *
       number_of("any one work") /* in Guh-NÜ-slash-Linux */ * 450;

Eldorado!!!

regards,
alexander.