Re: Question reguarding GNU FDL license

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Question reguarding GNU FDL license
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:34:54 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> In mine, the GPL reads:
>>
>> (clause 1)
>>
>>     You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy,
>>     and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange
>>     for a fee.
>
> That's not about copying, stupid. It's about a "physical act of
> transferring a copy"

Well, it would be pretty foolish to charge someone for copying
something without actually giving him the copy afterwards...

I don't think that the GPL has the power to press conditions on
whether or not I shall pass payment to somebody who creates private
copies and keeps them for himself.

You are really making a cute spectacle here.

>> What you are referring to is:
>>
>>     2b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
>>     whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
>>     part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
>>     parties under the terms of this License.
>>
>> The "no charge" clause is for _licensing_,
>
> And licensing to do what? Idiot.

To use and redistribute according to the terms of the GPL.  It does
not help you much if you are licensed to do so when nobody transferred
a copy to you previously.