Re: Open source - Free software

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:56:22 +0100

Qua, 2006-09-27 às 14:59 +0200, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> [...]
> > Just look at Linus and the other kernel developers who abided to
> > BitKeeper, until the owners of that proprietary software decided to pull
> > the plug after a Free Software author found a way to free people from
> > BitKeeper.
>
> Tridgell didn't found a way to free people from BitKeeper, mini-RMS.
>
> He tried to find a way to free www.bitkeeper.com from its business of
> selling clients with his castrated bitkeeper client clone wannabe
> called "SourcePuller" (note also that linux developers had both
> repository servers and clients for free), not only repository servers.
>
> McVoy then yanked free of charge friends editions in response.

LOL that's a really funny way of expressing your "proteccionism" point
of view, Alex.

So a company has a business that depends on a morally questionable
method (basically holding hostage people's file evolution history) to
make money, and by a design mistake leaves an open door for people to
escape that cage.

This is quite easy to compare with DVD's CSS:

DVDForum has a business that depends on a morally questionable method
(basically holding a film hostage to a zone and some weak encryption) to
make money, and by a design mistake leaves an open door for people to
escape that cage.

DVDForum's luck was that there's DMCA, EUCD, etc...

McVoy's out of luck since fortunately there isn't *yet* a governmental
proteccionism that would help him pillage users.

McVoy then chose to punish people that had nothing to do with what
Tridge did, providing Free Software proponents with yet another "I told
you so" magical moment.

Rui