Re: Open source - Free software

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:05:31 +0200 (CEST)

   > So there shouldn't be much ambiguity when the context is
   > understood -- we have distinct terms for these different
   > concepts.  AFAIK, there's no other common term for what is called
   > "free software",

   Why not call it "open source software", or GPL or LGPL software, or
   public domain software, etc..?

Open source software means something different, GPL/LGPL software
means something different, and public domain software means something
different.

   Why do you absolutely want to use the very ambiguous expression
   "free software"?

The word `free software' has a specific definition, there is nothing
ambiguous about it.  It has also existed for something like 20 years.

   And when open source advocates go even further and want to stop
   people from using the word "freeware" because it could be confused
   with the expression "free software" which open source advocates
   have tried to hijack they are going far too far.

Good thing that we are not Open Source advocates, but Free Software
advocates.