Re: Open source - Free software

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:24:23 +0200

"Roger Johansson" <roger4911@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Free gas, free milk, free beer?
>
>> Those happen not to be subject to copyright.
>
> You and many others in the open source movement

I am not in the open source movement.

> look like people who have found out which way the wind blows, and
> now you stand there with small batterydriven fans blowing air in the
> same direction, making a lot of fuzz about how good you are and how
> you make the wind blow in the right direction, to reinforce your own
> egos and singlemindedness.
>
> Open source software is an inevitable consequence of the need to
> develop software in an optimal way, and most users want open source
> software and open standards.

Uh, not at all.  Free software came about as a consequence of the
inability to work freely with software.  Since free software was
recreated from scratch, it started out by necessity technically
inferior to proprietary software.  If quality had been the main
motivator, neither free software nor open software would ever have
come into existence.

> This happened in the hardware sector decades ago, when the computer
> users of the world decided to use the open architecture PC, and it
> will happen in the software sector for the same reasons.

You can't use software before it is written.

> You are just bullies who like to jump on people and as all other
> bullies you want to have a good justification for your activity and
> all your blabbering. Hot air is leaking out from your singleminded
> and overheated brains, that is the simple truth.

Uh, sounds like your brain did just overheat a bit...

> Learn to use your heads to think with instead of hammering in nails
> with your forehead, in a coffin that is already well on the way to
> be buried, proprietary closed source software.

Oh, there is no such coffin.  Eric Raymond already wants to have
proprietary Codecs in his Linux, everybody and his mother shouts for
binary drivers, Linus Torvalds thinks one should do nothing against
DRM and "trusted computing" which wrench, like in the case of
Playstations, the control from the user about what software he is
allowed to create and run.

> Your speeded minds would be put to better use if you help making
>linux more user friendly and easy to use so we can liberate ourselves
>from the depence on microsoft and other proprietary software
>producers faster.

GNU/Linux did not just magically pop up out of nowhere.  GNU was
created and still is maintained by the people who care for the
availability of free software, those people you rave against.  The
people who would rather code alternatives than sing the praises of
proprietary drivers for the purported sake of "user friendliness" that
is, like proprietary software always has been, a dead end: software
doomed to bit rot, which you can either expensively replace at some
point of time or, if you are unlucky, stop using altogether.