Re: What DMCA stands for

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: What DMCA stands for
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 20:50:46 +0200 (CEST)

   >    Censorship is about stopping original content being
   >    propagated, not about stopping the propagation of material
   >    copyrighted by somebody else.
   >
   > Copyrighted material is often original material, DMCA/EUCD stop
   > the propagation of this material, even if all users have this
   > moral right; thus, censorship.

   No. You are censored if you are not free to voice or propagate your
   own opinion.

The term isn't being inflated, it is a perfectly suitable term.  I am
not allowed under the DMCA/EUCD to distribute my work that circumvents
immoral barriers for using software, or in other ways using digital
media that has been encumbered by these immoral barriers that I have
on my computer.

   Inflating this term to also mean the stopping of
   copying of other works will only desensitize people to real
   censorship.

Nothing is being inflated.