Re: More GPL questions

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: More GPL questions
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:59:23 +0200

"Louis B. (ldb)" wrote:

> Just a minor point of clarification: I'm not including Qt code in my
> SDK, just an example to show how it would be used, if desired.

Utterly moronic GNUtian copyleft derivative theory was sorta "argued" in the
UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE 13th [sic :-)] CIRCUIT.

-------
The Scope of “Derivative Works” as Applied to Software: David Bender of White
& Case LLP and author of Computer Law and Ieuan Mahony of Holland & Knight
LLP will argue the proper scope of “derivative work” under U.S. copyright law
when applied to software, before a panel of distinguished federal appellate
judges:

 * HONORABLE WILLIAM C. BRYSON, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
 * HONORABLE HALDANE ROBERT MAYER, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
 * HONORABLE MARGARET MCKEOWN, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
-------

http://www.law.washington.edu/LCT/Events/FOSS/MootFacts.pdf
(Moot Court Statements of Fact)

http://www.law.washington.edu/LCT/Events/FOSS/OmegaBrief.pdf
(Omega Plaintiff's Brief)

http://www.law.washington.edu/LCT/Events/FOSS/AlphaBrief.pdf
(Alpha Defendant's Brief)

http://www.law.washington.edu/LCT/Events/FOSS/media/03.%20Beyond%20the%20Basics%20-%20Moot%20Court.mp3
(Hearing and Q&A)

GNUtian side didn't do well.

There were a whole bunch of remarkable remarks from judges.

Like "what is a license if not a contract", "the real word issue" of
preemption, "intent" is not really helpful, etc. etc.

regards,
alexander.