Re: Several industry sources: Sun Set To Move On GPL License For Open-S

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Several industry sources: Sun Set To Move On GPL License For Open-Source Java
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:46:31 +0100

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> Interesting...
>
> http://www.javapolis.com/confluence/display/JP05/Graham+Hamilton
>
> ------
> Graham Hamilton is a Vice President and Fellow within the Java platform
> team at Sun Microsystems. His main focus is on the use of the Java
> platform for large scale enterprise and web development. He also has a
> strong focus on attracting new developers to the Java platform.
>
> Graham joined the Java team in 1995 and has contributed to a wide
> variety of Java technology initiatives, including technologies such as
> CORBA support, the JDBC APIs, JavaBeans, the Java Plug-in, RMI-IIOP,
> JAX-RPC, and others. Most recently he has acted as the specification
> lead for J2SE releases 1.3 and 1.4. Graham has helped encourage
> community participation in Java API development and he was one of the
> designers of the Java Community Process.
>
> Graham's current activities include acting as Sun's primary
> representative on the JCP J2SE/J2EE Executive Committee, helping to
> develop the specification for the next release of J2SE, leading an
> Ease-of-Development initiative within the Java platform team, and
> working with Sun's tools group on new tools initiatives.
>
> Graham has a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Edinburgh
> and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Cambridge. Before
> joining Sun he worked for ICL in England, and for Digital Equipment in
> California and Washington. He has 32 US patents on a variety of software
> topics.
> ------
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/009063.html
> (Sun exec departs over Java move)
>
> More colorful:
>
> http://java.sys-con.com/read/304709.htm
>
> ------
> Open Source Java Claims Its First Casualty: Graham Hamilton, Sun Fellow
> and VP, Quits
>
> An uncompromising advocate of Java compatibility, Dr Graham Hamilton -
> Sun Fellow and VP - has parted company with the new "age of
> participation" Sun in the wake of its decision, announced last week, to
> open-source its implementation of Java.
>
> One of the principal voices against open-sourcing Java, the departure of
> Hamilton was nonetheless greeted with sadness by proponents of the cause
> like Danese Cooper, who notes  "I know many at Sun and in the larger
> Java community were sad to see him go."

http://danesecooper.blogs.com/divablog/2006/11/the_people_who_.html

------
Hi,

Is it true that Graham has left Sun?
(http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/geir/archives/001429_graham_too.html)

Regards,
Behi

Posted by: Behrang | Nov 14, 2006 3:48:38 PM

[...]

Behrang,

Yes, it is indeed true. Dr. Hamilton was one of the principal voices
against open-sourcing Java, and in my experience he's a "my way or the
highway" kind of guy...so not surprising that he's opted out of the new
"age of participation" Sun. I found it interesting that Rich Green
publicly thanked him during the event on Monday. I know many at Sun and
in the larger Java community were sad to see him go. So far no word on
what he plans to do next.

Danese

Posted by: Danese Cooper | Nov 15, 2006 6:40:36 PM
------

> Geir Magnusson, while conceding that he and Hamitlon "didn't see eye to
> eye," nonetheless declared him "one of my heros" and called it "a
> significant loss for Sun, and the Java ecosystem as a whole."
>
> "I'm proud to say that I've worked with Dr. Hamilton," Magnusson added,
> "and hope to do so again in the future."
> ------
>
> http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/geir/archives/001429_graham_too.html
>
> ------
> Graham too?
>
> I've just heard that one of my heros, Dr. Graham Hamilton, has left Sun.
>
> Graham was the Sun rep on the JCP EC, which is how I met him. A Sun
> Fellow and a VP, he was an uncompromising advocate of Java compatibility
> who simply didn't understand that my advocacy of open source was aligned
> with the "compatibility promise". Needless to say, we didn't see eye to
> eye.
>
> That said, this is a significant loss for Sun, and the Java ecosystem as
> a whole. I'm proud to say that I've worked with Dr. Hamilton, and hope
> to do so again in the future.
> ------

regards,
alexander.