Re: gpl licensing

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: gpl licensing
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:13:57 -0600

Richard writes:
> The law gives abstract works that characteristic by granting monopolies
> such as copyright and patents

Exactly.  What is owned is not the literary work or the invention but the
exclusive right to copy the work or practice the invention.

> To reiterate: the distinction between physical property and intellectual
> property arises from facts about the world, not just conventions of
> society.

The very notion of property arises from the conventions od society.

It's fine to express your dislike of intellectual property: I'm not all
that enamored of it myself.  It is silly to deny that it exists.

Richard writes:
> Some people will.

All people will try to protect that which they believe butters their
bread.  They differ in how they will disguise and rationalize their
actions.

> People organised into companies are particularly liable to this.

No more so than anyone else.  It's just that it more obvious in their case
as companies are explicitly all about money.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org