Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a

From: Geico Caveman
Subject: Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a license that's not compatible with GPL
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:30:54 -0500

observatory@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My application consists of a collection of scripts (full source
> distributed) licensed under a license that I'll call A.
> I want to distribute with my application, the source version of a
> script licensed under GPL. This script (source) will be imported and
> used at runtime by my application.
>
> Is this allowed when license A is not compatible with GPL ?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrei

No. You will have to provide the source code for all your scripts if you
include the GPL'ed script and bundle it with yours. Further, you will have
to release the source under at least the same GPL version, if not later.

You could avoid this by merely linking against the script (and not
distributing it under license A) but that presumes that an LGPL version of
the script is available.