Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "LWN: A new GPLv3 timetable"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "LWN: A new GPLv3 timetable"
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:59:27 +0200

http://lwn.net/Articles/227857/

--------
A new GPLv3 timetable

[Posted March 26, 2007 by corbet]

From:    Brett Smith <brett-AT-fsf.org>
To:      corbet-AT-lwn.net
Subject: GPLv3 timetable update
Date:    Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:40:33 -0400

FYI: the information below is being sent to our info-gplv3 mailing list.
If you have any questions about it, please feel free to contact me.

The second discussion draft of GPLv3 was released eight months ago, in July
2006.  We had never planned to let so much time pass between public
releases of the license.  We felt it was important to fully discuss a few
specific issues, including the recent patent deal between Novell and
Microsoft, before proceeding with the process.  A new discussion draft will
be released on March 28 at 10:00 AM US Eastern time; it represents the
outcome of those discussions, and the rationale document that will
accompany it explains how we arrived at these decisions.  However, we
remain absolutely committed to hearing input from as much of the free
software community as possible before publishing a final version of the
license.  We are adjusting the drafting process to make sure that everyone
interested has an opportunity to make their voice heard.

The third discussion draft will be open for comment for sixty days.  Based
on the feedback we receive during this window, we may publish new language
from time to time for additional review.  For example, if someone points
out a side effect of some term that we hadn't considered before, we may
publish updated text for that section aimed at addressing the issue.  These
changes will be announced on the GPLv3 web site and mailing list.

We will continue to take feedback from public comments and discussion
committees as before.  In addition, if there are common questions about the
license, we will address those in blog posts on the GPLv3 web site.  Our
goal is not to preempt discussion or criticism of the draft, but rather to
enhance that discussion by helping the community fully understand the text.
We are also considering other ways to solicit input, which we will announce
as they are planned.

After this discussion period is over, we will publish a last call draft.
That draft will be open for comment for thirty days, and the final license
will be published shortly afterwards.  We would like to thank everyone for
their continued support during this process, and their assistance as we
work to make the our licenses the best they can be.

Brett Smith
Licensing Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

A new GPLv3 timetable

Posted Mar 26, 2007 22:47 UTC (Mon) by subscriber kwink81

Thank goodness. I was beginning to worry that the GPLv3 draft committe
was bound and gagged in someone's basement.

It will be fun to see what they came up with.

A new GPLv3 timetable

Posted Mar 27, 2007 0:06 UTC (Tue) by subscriber markcox

Just in time for the next harry potter to be released under the gplv3.
--------

regards,
alexander.

--
"FORM 990, PART II, LINE 25 - OFFICER COMPENSATION SCHEDULE
                                         PROGRAM  MANAGMENT

 EBEN MOGLEN
    COMPENSATION:                        116,875.     38,959."

                          -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.