Re: Lost in licensing - is the following strategy water-proof?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lost in licensing - is the following strategy water-proof?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 00:39:25 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    >    >    Dear open-source-fellows,
>    >    >
>    >    > Please do not confuse us with this movement, we are part of
>    >    > the Free software movement, and promote freedom.
>    >
>    >    Please do not confuse yourself with every reader of this list.
>    >    Speak for yourself, not for others.  If you absolutely feel
>    >    compelled to speak for others, don't use the all-inclusive
>    >    "we" but specify the group that you feel qualified speaking
>    >    for explicitly.
>    >
>    > This is a GNU list, we are not part of the open source movement.
>    > Using we in this context is perfectly suitable.
>
>    Alfred, you have stated that you don't agree with positions
>    explained in the GPL FAQ and by Ebden Moglen, the FSF's legal
>    counsel.  And you certainly put forward positions that I, as a GNU
>    contributor and maintainer of several projects, can't find to agree
>    with either my opinion nor that of the FSF.
>
> This is simply not true.  Please refrain from spreading misinformation
> about what I have exactly said or haven't said.

<URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2006-02/msg00048.html>

    Re: GPL and other licences
    From:       Alfred M\. Szmidt
    Subject:    Re: GPL and other licences
    Date:       Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:43:43 +0100

       Then I recommend you actually _read_ the FAQ.

    I did read the FAQ, I just failed to read the correct question. :-)

    In this case, it seems that I and the FSF disagree.  Prohibiting staff
    from distributing free software is the same as a NDA, in my opinion.
    And I think it is a weird stance from the FSF to support such
    practises.

    Thanks.

I remember quite well that you wrote this.  Interestingly, Google
Groups doesn't, as well as a few other relevant postings of yours in
this thread: only my replies to them are recorded.

The FSF list archives seems to be more complete yet.