Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Keith Thompson
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:12:42 -0800

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:
> The GNU project named the system GNU, and that is why it should be
> called GNU, it is that simple.  If you create a deriviate of BSD, it
> does not magically stop being BSD.

Your use of the phrase "the system" seems to imply that only one
system is being discussed.  Are you assuming that a system containing
the Linux kernel (often referred to as GNU/Linux) and a similar system
containing the Hurd kernel are the same system, which should be
referred to as GNU?  Are you arguing that the name "GNU/Linux" is
incorrect, and that the system to which that name is commonly applied
should instead be called "GNU"?

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <kst-u@mib.org>