Re: Troll naming

From: Andy Baxter
Subject: Re: Troll naming
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:44:57 -0000

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:54:03 -0800, mike3 wrote:

> On Dec 5, 6:57 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think OP was trolling.
>>
>> Look up his posting history in this group.  If you entertain the notion
>> that he is not a troll in the Usenet sense, he would certainly appear so
>> in the classical sense when considering the leasurely speed and the
>> time-limited nature of his comprehension.
>>

> The problem is though I really want to understand this,
> and to see if it's really as reasonable as is said. And
> perhaps, if I (or anyone else) find a problem, then it
> may be remedied.
>
> How can I do it without trolling, when questions pop up
> in my mind that I want to ask?

Trolling, as I understand it, properly means something like 'asking
ignorant and provocative questions /that you know are ignorant and
provocative/, with the /deliberate intention/ of winding up newbies on the
group and starting a flame war. Some people get off on this.

If this isn't what you're doing, then you're not a troll. If it is, then
you are. Just disagreeing strongly or asking questions people think are
stupid doesn't count IMHO.

--
remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me.