Re: "News" Verizon calls SFLC bluff

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: "News" Verizon calls SFLC bluff
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:35:30 +0100

amicus_curious wrote:
[...]
> They couldn't object to a voluntary dismissal.  That is an action in their
> favor.  They could countersue in some way, perhaps, but the SFLC is just a
> flea and Verizon has a lot more to do than worry about something like that
> after it has gone away anyway.

I bet Verizon folks are laughing their asses off while reading all that
SFLC instilled amusing spin on the latest "GPL legal victory":

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3734866/Open+Source+Group+is+4+For+4+on+GPL+Lawsuits.htm

"Although the original lawsuit, which was filed in December of 2007,
named Verizon as the plaintiff, the settlement involves concessions by
wireless router vendor Actiontec.

"We are satisfied with the resolution but don't have further comment at
this time," Verizon spokesperson Christy Reap wrote in an e-mail to
InternetNews.com."

(Resolution == "NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: ... plaintiffs Erik
Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss this action against defendant
Verizon Communications Inc. WITH PREJUDICE")

"Verizon also declined comment on whether it planned any policy changes
as a result of the settlement."

(Evidence of no changes at all:
http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp)

"As part of the settlement, Actiontec plans to appoint an Open Source
Software Compliance Officer. Additionally, Actiontec is expected to pay
a settlement. It did not disclose the amount.

The actual settlement with Verizon, according to SFLC Legal Director Dan
Ravicher, involves agreements with both Verizon and Actiontec.

"However, since the boxes involved are Actiontec's, they chose to take
responsibility for remedying both their own and Verizon's past
violations and ensuring compliance in the future," Ravicher told
InternetNews.com.

Even though it is Actiontec that is paying the financial payment in this
settlement, Ravicher noted that Verizon is also part of the settlement.

"Both Verizon and Actiontec violated the GPL in their respective
distributions of BusyBox," Ravicher explained. "Actiontec when it
distributed to Verizon, and then Verizon when it distributed to its
customers. Again, though, since the boxes involved are Actiontec's, they
chose to take responsibility for remedying both their own and Verizon's
past violations and ensuring compliance in the future."

ROFL!

regards,
alexander.

--