Re: How to build GNU toolchain for AMD64?

From: khapi
Subject: Re: How to build GNU toolchain for AMD64?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:56:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 22, 1:06 pm, Bill Marcum <marcumb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 2008-06-22, kh...@yahoo.com <kh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm using a Linux distro that doesn't have a 64-bit
> > version, and after trying two that do (Ubuntu and
> > Fedora) and seeing how incompatible they are
> > with my hardware, I've decided to take a minimalist
> > approach and build the toolchain and kernel myself.
> > However, I've run into snags, and the information
> > on the Web seems fragmented and dispersed.
>
> > Binutils seem to build without problems:
>
> > mkdir /opt64
> > tar zxfv binutils-2.18.tar.gz
> > cd binutils-2.18
> > ./configure --prefix=/opt64 --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> > make
> > make install
>
> > However gcc builds only the first stage and
> > at the end of that, it complains that it cannot
> > create the binary, seemingly because it doesn't
> > know the name for it (gcc).
>
> > export CFLAGS='-Dinhibit_libc'
> > export PATH=/opt64/bin:$PATH
> > tar jxfv gcc-4.3.1.tar.bz2
> > cd gcc-4.3.1
> > ./configure --prefix=/opt64 --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-
> > languages=c --disable-shared --disable-multilib --enable-
> > threads=single --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> > make
>
> > Can anyone assist?
> > Thanks.
>
> What distro do you use that doesn't have a 64-bit version, and what
> hardware do you have that isn't compatible with the most popular
> distros? Maybe you could try a minimal installation of Debian.

I'm using Slackware.

Ubuntu was a problem because it refused to let me
specify a root password, and didn't install parts of
the development system.

Fedora insisted on a graphical login but I started the X server
there was constant flickering on my laptop's LCD.
My system has an ATI Radeon X1200.

Thanks.