Re: When is a GPL program which runs in a web site 'conveyed'?

From: rjack
Subject: Re: When is a GPL program which runs in a web site 'conveyed'?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:52:31 -0400

John Hasler wrote:
Philipp Schmidt writes:
I have read the GPL several times, and besides the cited FAQ I don't see
a reason why you may not be allowed to offer remote X access to a linux
system running (modified) GPL programs as long as you make sure that the
remote user can't get access to the actual program code. And we are far
away from planning such almost direct access.

There isn't any, unless the code is licensed under the Affero GPL or the
GNU Affero GPL (you'd know if it was).

Ignore rjack.  He's a troll, and not a very competent one.  The GPL is a
set of _permissions_: by distributing under it a copyright owner grants
recipients of copies certain rights otherwise reserved by copyright law to
the copyright owner.  Thus if the GPL was void in the US (it is not) no one
other than the copyright owner would be allowed to distribute GPL licensed
software at all.

For the future, can you advise me how to differentiate between lawyers
talking law-speech and trolls talking nonsense? ;-)

The same way you differentiate between programmers talking software-speech
and trolls talking nonsense.

One beautiful sunny day
Ol' Rjack went for a stroll
While waking alone