Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:47:52 +0200

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > Another postponement requested by SFLC. I gather that SFLC will move to
> > dismiss against own clients no later than August 20, 2008.
>
> Probably because they are in negotiations to bring the
> defendants into compliance with the GPL, after which

So plaintiffs want to settle (having fruitless negotiations thus far)
and are asking delay of a conference meant to encourage defendants to
settle?

http://www.yourdictionary.com/pre-trial-conference

-----
An informal conference among opposing attorneys and the judge in which
the issues are narrowly spelled out, and that, in civil cases, allows
the judge to encourage both parties toward reaching a settlement.
-----

To me it appears that plaintiffs simply don't want the judge to hear
anything about the GPL and their "license not a contract" copyright
based enforcement theory (filing copyright infringement complaint
without bothering to register copyrights to establish court's
jurisdiction).

Could it be that plaintiffs are afraid that the judge will dismiss their
cockamamie case sua sponte right at the conference?

regards,
alexander.

--
http://gng.z505.com/index.htm