Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: rjack
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:25:29 -0400

Hyman Rosen wrote:
Rahul Dhesi wrote:
Somebody wants to hide something.  Who -- the defendants or the SFLC? It's
hard to tell.

Why do you think anyone is hiding anything? For example, <http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2008/mar/17/busybox-verizon/> says "As a
result of the plaintiffs agreeing to dismiss the lawsuit and reinstate
Actiontec's and its customer's rights to distribute BusyBox under the GPL,
Actiontec has agreed to appoint an Open Source Compliance Officer within its
organization to monitor and ensure GPL compliance, to publish the source code
for the version of BusyBox it previously distributed on its Web site, and to undertake substantial efforts to notify previous recipients of BusyBox from
Actiontec and its customers, including Verizon, of their rights to the
software under the GPL. The settlement also includes an undisclosed amount of
financial consideration paid to the plaintiffs by Actiontec."

I guess you can be enough of a nosey parker to want to know exactly how much
was paid, but otherwise there isn't anything secret about the settlement
terms.

                     The New York Enquirer

Extra! Extra!
Flying pigs sighted in Southern Federal District of New York!

Miracle in New York!
Although no independently verifiable evidence of record, plaintiffs face-saving
blog posts prove their claims after case is voluntarily dismissed with
prejudice!

Sincerely,
Rjack :)

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or
the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
-- John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre
Trials,' December 1770