Re: softwarefreedom.org and busybox fellows 'win' DEFAULT JUDGMENT

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: softwarefreedom.org and busybox fellows 'win' DEFAULT JUDGMENT
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:40:50 -0700

In article <gajkpe$i1m$1@blue.rahul.net>,
 c.c.eiftj@XReXXsoftw.usenet.us.com (Rahul Dhesi) wrote:

> Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> writes:
>
> >BusyBox, however, appears to be a US non-registered work, not a non-us
> >non-registered work.
>
> To whom does it appear this way?  Not to any of the defendants so far.

The copyright holders named in the lawsuits reside in the US.  This is
stated in the complaint.  Both of their resumes are on line, and
indicate that they have been in the US for their college educations and
for all their jobs.

Here's what makes a work a US work, from 17 USC 101:

====== begin quote =====
For purposes of section 411, a work is a ³United States work² only if‹

(1) in the case of a published work, the work is first published‹

   (A) in the United States;

   (B) simultaneously in the United States and another treaty party or
   parties, whose law grants a term of copyright protection that is the
   same as or longer than the term provided in the United States;

   (C) simultaneously in the United States and a foreign nation that is
   not a treaty party; or

   (D) in a foreign nation that is not a treaty party, and all of the
   authors of the work are nationals, domiciliaries, or habitual
   residents of, or in the case of an audiovisual work legal entities
   with headquarters in, the United States;

(2) in the case of an unpublished work, all the authors of the work are
nationals, domiciliaries, or habitual residents of the United States,
or, in the case of an unpublished audiovisual work, all the authors are
legal entities with headquarters in the United States; or

(3) in the case of a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work incorporated
in a building or structure, the building or structure is located in the
United States.
====== end quote =====

They are both clearly nationals, domiciliaries, or habitual residents of
the United States, so it sure looks like one or more of the alternatives
above applies.

Hence, it appears that it is a US work.

As for non-registered, it appears that way because it does now show up
in a search of the registration records at the Copyright Office.  I've
searched for both authors named in the suit, and for Bruce Parens (he
was the original author, although almost all his code has been replaced
by code from the current authors, but I wanted to allow for the
possibility that maybe his registration would still count, even without
his code being in the current version).  There's also nothing under
"BusyBox".

There are four registrations for "Busy Box" but they aren't the program.
One is a textile pattern, one is a story, one is a reading activities
booklet for kids, and one is a bedroom suite.

There are 8 registrations from people named Erik Andersen.  We can
eliminate one right away, as it is an Erik Kaae Andersen, and BusyBox's
Andersen is Erik B. Andersen, according to his resume, so that leaves 7
potential registrations.  His resume also notes he got his bachelor's
degree in 1995.  Assuming he went at the normal pace, that would put his
birth year around 1974.

The Andersen's of the 7 registrations were born in 1955 (2 works), 1966
(1 work), 1971 (1 work), and 1972 (3 works). So, if he's there, it is
likely he's one of the last two Andersen's, but what the heck, there are
only 7 works, so let's check them all.

1955 Andersen:

   * musical work, and his name is Erik G Andersen.  So, not him.
   * another musical work from the same Andersen.

1966 Andersen:

   * Erik C Andersen, and this is a treatment for a TV show named
     "Scavengers".

1971 Andersen:

   * A computer program named "Ilook imager".

1972 Andersen:

   * A compilation of 9 of his songs.  Obviously not BusyBox.
   * Another compilation of the same musician.
   * And more music from that Andersen.

So, only one of those Andersen's appears to be a programmer (the 1971
Andersen), but that program is not BusyBox.  He's also a little earlier
than the expected 1974 birth year for the BusyBox Andersen, but maybe
the BusyBox Andersen took time off between high school and college, or
took a year or two off in college to do other things.  That's not too
uncommon, so 1971 is plausible.

"Ilook imager" appears to be a tool for law enforcement computer
forensics.  The BusyBox Andersen does list this on his resume:

   Consulting/Software Development, June 2001-Present

      US Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation, Electronic
      Crimes Division Development of custom software for forensic data
      aquisition and analysis used by law enforcement agencies during
      criminal investigations.

So he does work in computer forensics, and "Ilook imager" was registered
in 2002, which is during the timeframe he's been doing that kind of
work.  This might actually be the BusyBox Andersen!

However, it still isn't a registration for BusyBox.

Thus, it appears that BusyBox is an unregistered work.

> >Thus, we'd expect that even if someone were suing over a non-US work,
> >they would register before filing suit, to take advantage of the extra
> >remedies.
>
> These extra remedies being what -- statutory damages?
>
> Damages are probably not so important to the Busybox developers. The big
> stick they carry, which became bigger after the JMRI decision, is the
> threat of an injunction.

Registration lets you ask for statutory damages *and* attorney's fees.
They might not care about statutory damages, but I bet they would like
attorney's fees.

FYI, here are the JMRI registrations:

<http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SA=Jacobsen%2C%
20Robert%20Gibbs%2C%201957%2D&PID=HbJy2Meq0jbJFKaTAsHondwzd&BROWSE=1&HC=1
1&SID=8>

> <http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SA=Jacobsen%2C%20Robert%20Gibbs%2C%201957%2D&PID=HbJy2Meq0jbJFKaTAsHondwzd&BROWSE=1&HC=11&SID=8>

<http://tinyurl.com/6g5j2h>

These show up when searching for "JMRI" in the title, or the author in
the name (or any of the authors for the ones that have multiple
authors).  This provides a nice check to show that I am not totally
botching the search form when I look for BusyBox.

--
--Tim Smith