Re: GPL 2(b) HUH?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL 2(b) HUH?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:46:26 +0200

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

> Uh. Linux has hudreds of contributors. Did hundreds of authors
> contribute their copyrighted works to Harry Potter?

Actually, apart from "copyrighted", that's what culture is all about.
In Homer's times, it took decades and life times for cultural works to
spread, take hold, and make an impact through grassroots.

In our times of modern communication and copyright, a life time is not
enough.  You have to restrict yourself to material from the beginning of
last century.  Or pay more money than grassroots could afford.

So culture is no longer something that can grow outside of greenhouses,
in the wild.