Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:41:38 +0200

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

> Rahul Dhesi wrote:
>> Rjack <user@example.net> writes:
>>
>>> Some are thieves, like GPL licensors, who for the political goal of
>>> destroying capitalism, try to steal other peoples' rights with an
>>> illegal licensing scheme.
>>
>> Aren't you the guy that quoted the Seventh Circuit as if it's a
>> fact-finding court?
>>

> I accurately quoted the Seventh Circuit's decision. The decision was
> celebrated as a great victory for FOSS. Every FOSS supporter on the
> planet simply loves to cite to Wallace v. IBM et. al. as a crown jewel
> of legal support for FOSS. Are you anti-FOSS?

Huh?  Which FOSS supporter would be that?  The general contention from
the start was that Wallace was just a lunatic and the case utterly
relevant.  If I remember correctly, it was finally thrown out of court
because Wallace did not bother to state an actual case and/or explain
how he would have standing.

So while it is an amusing sidetrack with regard to FOSS, it is not at
all relevant.  The only one I remember ascribing great importance to it
has been Terekhov who declared this the ultimate threat to FOSS that
Wallace was certain to win, citing fragments of the pleadings as gospel,
and afterwards declaring the judges drunk.  The usual routine.  So there
was some snickering at him and his antics, but that's about it.

When somebody fails to state a case, that hardly can be considered a
precedent for anything.  By anybody.

It was an amusement for FOSS, not anything of relevance or importance.