Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:07:54 -0500

Rjack wrote:
Yeh... While you hang your hopes of GPL validity on the word of Eben Moglen, the crackpot who announced "licenses are not contracts".

They're not. But I don't depend on him, I depend on the fact that
it is a plainly written license that is widespread in the software
community, and in that community everyone acts as if it works just
as it claims to, even if they don't like it.

Given that even the US government distributes code under the GPL
(the NSA has its own version of Linux), I suspect that if courts
ever did decide that the GPL was invalid in the way that you would
like, the law would be changed to make it valid again.