Re: [ROFL] GCC's GPLv3 "Updated License Exception"

Subject: Re: [ROFL] GCC's GPLv3 "Updated License Exception"
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:30:24 -0600

On 2009-02-03, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> In gnu.misc.discuss 7 <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hyman Rosen wrote:
>> Wrong fool!
> No, I think you might actually be the right one.
>> As I write the assembler code for how a switch statement is implemented,
>> then I have copyright over it no matter how it gets subsequently used.
>> The assembler code for the switch statement is not generated
>> 'automatically'. The exact sequence is something I have to creatively
>> interpret and put together reading CPU specification.
> The degree of creativity involved in writing a few comparison and
> conditional/unconditional jump instructions is too low to merit
> copyright, just as composing the sentence "This is silly." would be.

    So then, are you going to hold your breath until they reform the Law.

    You may have a long wait since pretty much nobody that owns proprietary
source code would want to see such a reform put into place. The world is
chock full of very un-creative software.

        The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals           |||
for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs           / | \
the social value of copyright to begin with.