Re: Microsoft's IP chief on TomTom, Linux and patents ..

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Microsoft's IP chief on TomTom, Linux and patents ..
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:07:49 -0500

"Doug Mentohl" <doug_mentohl@linuxmail.org> wrote in message news:goeu49$u53$1@news.datemas.de...
Q: Is the technology being used by TomTom something it developed on its own, or is it outside or open-source technology that they're using?

Gutierrez: Well, it's hard for me to tell where the technology comes from .. the case involves infringement of Microsoft patents by TomTom devices that employ both proprietary and open-source software code ..

.. three of the eight patents in this dispute read on the Linux kernel as implemented by TomTom. The other five relate to car navigation proprietary software used by TomTom ..

What I mean is the patents cover the implementation of the Linux kernel done by TomTom in their products ..

Each case is different, and this one is specifically about the use of software by TomTom in its devices ...

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/40354407.html

Q: Is this the first in a series of steps that Microsoft plans to take to start filing suit over those more than 200 alleged patent violations?

Gutierrez: No. I should say, Microsoft respects and appreciates the important role that open-source software plays in our industry, and we respect and appreciate the passion and the great contribution that open-source developers make in our industry. That appreciation and respect is not inconsistent with our respect for intellectual-property rights. Partnership with all technology companies, including those that adopt a mixed-source model, must be built on mutual respect for IP rights -- rights that we all rely on for driving innovation and opportunity.

Now, this case is against TomTom, and it involves infringement of Microsoft patents by TomTom devices. Each case is different, and this one is specifically about the use of software by TomTom in its devices.