Re: Is database schema covered by the GPL?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Is database schema covered by the GPL?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:17:28 +0100

walterbyrd wrote:
[...]
> Since product B used the GPL'd database schema of product A; must
> product B also be licensed under the GPL?

To be on the 100% safe side, you should create a separate module
translating "database schema of product A" to a randomized schema of the
same items/facts used in the product B and release that module under the
GPL. It should look like this:

//--- (internal GPL'd header)

struct t_scheme_under_the_GPL {
  A a;
  B b;
  C c;
};

//--- (external header)

struct t_scheme_freed_from_the_GPL {
  C a_your_name;
  A b_your_name;
  B c_your_name;
};

void make_me_free(const void * scheme_under_the_GPL,
t_scheme_freed_from_the_GPL * p);

//--- (GPL'd implementation)

void make_me_free(void * g, t_scheme_freed_from_the_GPL * p) {
  p->a_your_name = static_cast<t_scheme_under_the_GPL *>(g)->c;
  p->b_your_name = static_cast<t_scheme_under_the_GPL *>(g)->a;
  p->c_your_name = static_cast<t_scheme_under_the_GPL *>(g)->b;
}

Hth.

regards,
alexander.