Re: More FSF hypocrisy

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: More FSF hypocrisy
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:46:25 +0000 (UTC)

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

>Alexander is trying to explain to you that a requirement qualifies
>as a condition precedent to a copyright grant if and only if the
>requirement *must* occur *before* the grant of rights becomes
>effective (contract performance). Obviously, the requirement
>cannot depend on the grant of rights it claims to condition.

I don't see the problem. While the CAFC interpreted the Artistic License
as imposing a scope of use, I don't see why it or the GPL could not also
impose a condition precedent. Before you satisfy the redistribution
conditions in the GPL for a specific copy that you have made, you are
not authorized to distribute that copy, although you were authorized to
make the copy and keep and use it privately.

If this still bothers you, consider the condition as a condition
concurrent and not a condition precedent. Look it up.
--
Rahul
http://rahul.rahul.net/