gnu-misc-discuss
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: The GPL means what you want it to mean


From: Rjack
Subject: Re: The GPL means what you want it to mean
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:52:15 -0400
User-agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (Windows/20090302)

JEDIDIAH wrote:
On 2009-04-06, Rjack <address@hidden> wrote:
JEDIDIAH wrote:
On 2009-04-06, Rjack <address@hidden> wrote:
JEDIDIAH wrote:
On 2009-04-06, Rjack <address@hidden> wrote:
Thufir Hawat wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 08:07:03 -0400, Rjack wrote:

Thufir Hawat wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:35:51 -0400, Rjack wrote:

"Free Software" is highly restrictive software and isn't "free" at all. Permissive licensed open
 source code such as BSD licensed programs do not
carry any baggage related to being hauled into federal court by a band of wild-eyed zealots who practice socialism in software licensing as a religion.
The logical conclusion of your argument is that the GPL
 is pointless.
The logical conclusion of *my* argument is don't use GPL
 licensed code and you won't be hauled into federal court
 by a band of wild-eyed zealots who practice socialism in
 software licensing as a religion.

And, since the BSD license is toothless, why even bother? Just license it the same way sqlite is licensed: public domain. That's the conclusion which can be drawn from your argument.
The conclusion that can be drawn from *my* argument is that using permissive licensed open source code such as BSD licensed programs will prevent someone from being hauled into federal court by a band of wild-eyed zealots who practice socialism in software licensing as a religion.
Try the same thing with code from Microsoft, IBM or Sun and
 see what happens.

[deletia]

The "burdens" of GPL software are no different than any other code that isn't public domain or effectively so.

You're like a houseguest that thinks just because someone has offered you their hospitality that you can start ripping up their living room floor and carting it off.

GPL license offerers are much more akin to homeowners who are
trying to rip off their invited guests by tempting them to accept an illegal contract.
Nice self-nuke on your part there...

You either have a legal contract or you are tresspassing.

Only in the mythical land of GNU where many marvelous fantasies become aq reality to its residents...

No. You are the one in some sort of fantasy land.

Don't wander into Texas with an attitude like this.

You might end up dead.


Death threats eh?

That's pretty tough talk for a little feller. I'll bet your shorter
than Kim Jong-il. The only thing I've ever seen come outta Texas
is castrated steers tryin' to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.

       Have a nice day JEDIDIAH!
      _                         _
     |R|                       |R|
     |J|         /^^^\         |J|
    _|a|_      (| "o" |)      _|a|_
  _| |c| | _    (_---_)    _ | |c| |_
 | | |k| |' |    _| |_    | `| |k| | |
 |          |   /     \   |          |
  \        /  / /(. .)\ \  \        /
    \    /  / /  | . |  \ \  \    /
      \  \/ /    ||Y||    \ \/  /
       \__/      || ||      \__/
                 () ()
                 || ||
                ooO Ooo


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]