Re: GPL traitor !

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 17:17:00 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Hyman Rosen wrote: [...]
Don't you think that such attempts clearly constitute utter misuse of the copyright, Hyman?
No.

Think of it deeply, Hyman.

Given:

1. You took a GPL'd work and made modifications to it.

2. You distributed the said derivative work.

3. You got a notice that you must pay fees for patented exclusive rights which are otherwise infringed due to functionality maintained from the original GPL'd work and/or your modifications.

4. You entered into agreement with the patent(s) owner(s).

5. A weirdo <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ> comes to you alleging copyright infringement.

There is a simple solution. Since I *first* distributed the work and
only later received the patent notification, I would jump in my time
machine and travel back in time and remove the distributed work from
the thousands of internet servers that mirror free software. This is
similar in principle to the way you base your condition precedent
events on the very contract performance that your purport to
condition. Simple really. Using General Relativity Kurt Godel
demonstrated this was possible in a locally rotating Universe in
Hilbert Space. Simple really.

Sincerely,
Rjack :)