Re: GPL traitor !

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:14:14 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss JEDIDIAH <jedi@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
> On 2009-05-14, Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That's funny. You're still talking about. What happened to Alan's claim
>> that the GPL was really easy to understand?

>    The GPL is pretty simple.

>    Plenty of people like to try and weasel out of it though.

>    The only really interesting issue is what a derivative work is. The
> rest is simply a matter of very mundane copyright law. This is also
> something else that people try to turn into something that's more complex
> than it really is.

And that is what's interesting here.  "Hadron" hasn't identified his
interest in the GPL, despite me asking him at least once.  What is he?  A
shill for some company which has an interest in portraying the GPL as
complicated and difficult?  An ex-SCO person, even?  Or are we to believe
he is completely disinterested in the GPL, and just posts here because he
finds the debate so intellectually stimulating?  ;-(

Come on, Hadron, tell us!  You don't need to disclose your full name,
just say what you do, and what sort of company/organisation you're doing
it for.

>     You can replace the GPL with any other license or EULA or even straight
> copyright law and end up with the same "problem".

>     Courts exist because most people aren't honorable enough for just a
> simple handshake.

Actually, I don't think that's true.  I think most people will honour not
just the "letter" of a handshake, but the spirit of it too.  It's just
the minority who won't are nevertheless too numerous to ignore.

--
Alan Mackenize (Nuremberg, Germany).