NYC LOCAL: Monday 18 May 2009 David Bollier on How We Build the Net Toda

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Monday 18 May 2009 David Bollier on How We Build the Net Today
Date: 17 May 2009 12:04:35 -0400

  what="official announcement by Evan Korth"
  sponsors="ACM-NYU, Free Culture, ISOC-NY, WinC"
  hosts="Aram Sinnreich and Evan Korth"
  edits="Emacs fill-paragraph applied">

 Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 01:44:06 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Evan Korth <korth@cs.nyu.edu>
 To: Computers_and_society_announcements@cs.nyu.edu
 Subject: [Computers_and_society_announcements] David Bollier

 I am not currently teaching Computers and Society and the
 semester will be over, but when my friend Aram Sinnreich called
 me with an opportunity to host David Bollier at NYU I could not
 resist.

 On Monday, May 18th 7:00pm-9:00pm, David Bollier will speak about
 the themes of his new book, Viral Spiral: How the Commoners Built
 a Digital Republic of Their Own (New Press). The book is the
 first comprehensive history of the "free culture" movement and
 "sharing economy" that is empowering ordinary people, disrupting
 markets and changing politics and culture. Bollier will talk
 about the rise of free and open source software, Creative Commons
 licenses, the new forms of non-market creativity (Wikipedia,
 blogs, remix music, videos) as well as fascinating innovations in
 open science, open education and "open business models."

 David Bollier is a leading American activist, author, blogger and
 proponent of "free culture" on the Internet and the commons. He
 is an editor of Onthecommons.org and Senior Fellow at the USC
 Annenberg School for Communication. Bollier is also co-founder of
 Public Knowledge, a Washington, D.C., organization that advocates
 for the public's stake in the Internet and copyright law, and the
 author of Silent Theft, Brand Name Bullies, and four other
 books. He lives in Amherst, Massachusetts.

 More about the book can be found at the website
 www.viralspiral.cc. More about Bollier can be found at
 www.bollier.org.

 Hosted by Aram Sinnreich and Evan Korth
 Sponsored by : ACM-NYU, Free Culture, ISOC-NY, WinC

 Details: