Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:49:00 +0000

Dear Antonis,

Beware the trolls on this list...

Rui

Em 02-02-2010 06:52, Antonis Christofides escreveu:
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:07:42 -0500
Hyman Rosen<hyrosen@mail.com>  wrote:
Is dynamically linking my program with the Visual C++  (or
Visual Basic) run-time library permitted under the GPL?

The program as you distribute it does not contain a copy
of the dynamic library integrated into it, so it is not
relevant that the library is used when the program runs.
Since copyright restricts only the copying and distribution
of covered works, you may distribute your program under the
terms of the GPL even if it dynamically links to non-free
libraries when executed. The system library exemption of the
GPL never comes into play.

I don't think that this is correct. When I distribute the program in
binary form, I also need to distribute the "Corresponding Source"
under the GPL-3, and this is defined as "all the source code needed
to ... run the object code", except for the System Libraries. Since the
dynamic library is needed to run my program, its source is part of the
Corresponding Source, unless it is a System Library.