Re: [LMAO] Moglen's bullshit rap at its finest

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [LMAO] Moglen's bullshit rap at its finest
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 15:10:22 +0100

RJack <user@example.net> writes:

> Moglen whines mightily about the very thing the GPL purports to do.

I suppose you should try educating yourself before spewing off.

> 1) Give you something for free -- public copyright permissions.

No, the GPL was never designed to give you anything for free.  The
initial GNU distribution tapes came arond $150 or something like that
IIRC.  And clearly all the FAQs state so as well.  And it is even
spelled out in the license:

      When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
    price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that
    you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and
    charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can
    get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use
    pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do
    these things.

[...]

      You may charge any price or no price for each copy that you
    convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee.

And the "public" in GPL does not mean that the public has access to the
software, but rather that the copyright holder (or anybody else) is not
in a special position for redistribution as compared to anybody else
from the public who has gotten hold of a legitimate copy.

That's different, for example, for the GFDL where "upstream" parties
having added inviolable sections are the only ones privileged to remove
or change them.  So the GFDL is _not_ a public license.

> 2) Snatch control of your exclusive copyrights for public consumption.

That's rubbish.  The GPL does not touch the copyright of anybody.

> Are Free Softies actually so stupid that they can't see the hypocrisy
> in Moglen's protestations?

It appears like you have gone soft in your head.  It's not like these
differences have not either been explained to you time and again and/or
are available in publicly available documents.

A sad spectacle you make of yourself.

--
David Kastrup