NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 17 March 2010 NYLUG: Forest Mars and Jingsheng Wang

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 17 March 2010 NYLUG: Forest Mars and Jingsheng Wang on Drupal
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:09:13 -0000

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:30:02 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] TOMORROW! NYLUG Presents: 3/17 @ 6:30PM Forest Mars
and Jingsheng Wang on Drupal makes me hAPI: Open source social publishing
architecture

 Wednesday, March 17, 2010
 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 **REMINDER: Meeting tomorrow, RSVP Closes TOMORROW at 4:30 PM (sharp!)**
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                        Forest Mars and Jingsheng Wang
                                    - on -
                          Drupal makes me hAPI: Open
                     source social publishing architecture

 Drupal is open source social publishing software that empowers individuals,
 teams, and communities to easily publish, manage and organize a wide
 variety of content on a website as well as build more complex web
 applications.  Tens of thousands of people and organizations have used
 Drupal to power scores of different types of web sites, including community
 web portals, corporate web sites, social networking sites, personal web
 sites or blogs, and much more.

 Drupal's roots extend deep into the Linux and Open Source communities.
 Drupal had its "coming out" at the 2005 FOSDEM conference in Brussels and
 early iterations were mainly developed on Linux.

 This talk will cover the Drupal framework with an emphasis on architecture
 and programming patterns while touching on a number of other topics such as
 performance tuning and hosting integration as well as considering the
 underlying reasons for Drupal's wide-ranging success, all served up with a
 healthy smathering of awesome sauce.

 The presentation will also include a short real world case study of a
 Drupal SaaS implementation "the BeerCloud" (an Android and iPhone
 application which uses Drupal as a backend)  More Information:

   * Drupal
     http://drupal.org/

   * Drupal + Services Module + Beer = BeerCloud on Android and iPhone
     http://drupal.org/node/659772

   * Community Free Software Group
     http://cfsg.org

 About Forest Mars & Jingsheng Wang:
 Forest Mars is a Network Architect and Drupal Developer who presents on a
 variety of topics concerning the Future of Media including Open Source
 Models, Trusted Network Protocols, and Web Video Broadcasting.  Coming from
 a background in Cybernetics and Information Theory, Forest Mars is known
 for his work as the Architect of New York's first WiFi Internet Service
 Provider, the "Two Rooms" Free Internet Cafe located in Manhattan's East
 Village, and "Yellow Hat" a Debian based LInux distro with Tibetan Language
 support.  He also serves as a board member of the Community Free Software
 Group and Unigroup of New York.

 Jingsheng Wang is a Drupal Developer, Android Developer and Reverse
 Engineer at GreatBrewers.com .

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at TGI Friday's
   (677 Lexington and 56th Street, Second floor, Northeast corner),
   but we are also evaluating other options for the future and welcome
   your suggestions.

   http://nylug.org/tgifridays

 Time: 6:00pm
 Duration: 2 hours
 Location: NY Public Library Hudson Park Branch, 66 Leroy St., NY NY 10014

 Topics:
   This week, we're going to continue looking at Smalltalk via Squeak.
   There may also be some discussion related to the C++ online workshop
   taking place on nylug-talk, and general discussion about Python.
   We'll be working through example code.

   Bring something to discuss! There's a blackboard, chalk, and Internet
   access.  Notebook computers are helpful but not required.
   All levels of Python experience from totally new to experienced welcome!

 Resources:
   *  Squeak Smalltalk environment
      http://www.squeak.org/

   *  NYLUG-Talk list
      http://nylug.org/listinfo/nylug-talk/

 Map & Directions:
   http://nylug.org/hackcalendar

   We meet in the basement. Enter the library and head to the back. If the
   door is closed when you arrive you can ask the manager of the library for
   the keys to the room if you're comfortable opening up the basement, or
   you can wait for some of the others to arrive.

   We will continue meeting on a bi-weekly basis at the Hudson Library at
   66 Leroy St New York, NY 10014.

   It is helpful, but not necessary to have a notebook computer.
   The WiFi at the library works now.

 Mailing List:
   We have a mailing list!  Join it here:

   or send mail to: hack-request@nylug.org
   with a Subject: subscribe

   There is also an RSS feed for the workshop mailing list at:
   http://nylug.org/mlist/hack.rss

 IRC Channel:
   On Freenode, in #nylug-python .  Stop by #nylug also.
   Next meetings are March 16, and March 30.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.