NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 21 April 2010 NYLUG: Richard Kreuter on NoSQL in ge

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 21 April 2010 NYLUG: Richard Kreuter on NoSQL in general and MongoDB in particular
Date: 20 Apr 2010 12:02:13 -0400

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="block of text of announcement of different event removed">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:45:01 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Presents: 4/21 @ 6:30PM Richard Kreuter on
NoSQL and MongoDB, Relating to Non-Relational Databases

 Wednesday, April 21, 2010
 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 *** RSVP Closes at 4:30 PM the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                                Richard Kreuter
                                    - on -
                          NoSQL and MongoDB, Relating
                          to Non-Relational Databases

 This talk will introduce the whats and wherefores of the non-relational
 database world (often called "NoSQL" databases), followed by a detailed
 look at MongoDB, a dynamic, schema-free, document-oriented database.
 Topics will include key-value stores, dynamo- and bigtable-descendants,
 document-oriented databases, scaling strategies.  Databases to be discussed
 include Memcached, Tokyo Cabinet, CouchDB, SimpleDB, Cassandra, Riak,
 Voldemort, and MongoDB.

 More information

   * MongoDB
     http://www.mongodb.org

   * Tokyo Cabinet
     http://1978th.net/tokyocabinet/

   * CouchDB
     http://couchdb.apache.org/

   * Memcached
     http://memcached.org/

   * Cassandra
     http://cassandra.apache.org/

   * Riak
     http://riak.basho.com/

   * Voldemort
     http://project-voldemort.com/

   * SimpleDB
     http://aws.amazon.com/simpledb/

 About Richard Kreutzer
 Bio: Richard Kreuter is a software engineer at 10gen, the sponsor of the
 open source project MongoDB.  He has wrangled code in bioinformatics,
 websites, compilers, airfare search, among other randoms.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at TGI Friday's
   (677 Lexington and 56th Street, Second floor, Northeast corner),
   but we are also evaluating other options for the future and welcome
   your suggestions.

   http://nylug.org/tgifridays

 < block of text removed />

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.