Re: Big blow to proprietary linking nonsense.

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Big blow to proprietary linking nonsense.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:56:05 -0000

"Hyman Rosen" <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote in message news:d2yIn.8435$HG1.6250@newsfe21.iad...

I don't see what you find noteworthy about this.

I think that you are ignoring the premise on purpose because you have no answer that fits your philosophy. Once again:

A.  Someone wants an improved version of some GPL work.

B. They contract with a third part to obtain that modified GPL work, paying the third part a sum agreeable to the third party.

C. As a condition of the third party contract, the person agrees to not disclose any details or make copies of the item for use by others not party to the contract.

D. When all is said and done, the person has his software to use and the supplier has his money. No GPL violations here.

So Rjack is free to sell his amalgamation of GPL and self-provided software to anyone, free of GPL restrictions, as long as the customer has access to the original, unmodified source.