Restrictware... But this is for help science, of course!

From: Solal
Subject: Restrictware... But this is for help science, of course!
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 10:58:51 +0200

I found a dangerous thing, a new excuse for restrictware creators to
restrict freedom :

"We have not outsourced the client for several reasons, relating to
client reliability and other issues. However, we’ve come up with a
compromise — we have been developing a plug in architecture to allow
people to write open source (sic) code that we can plug into our client."

The author of its sentence is (weirdly) Stanford University.
The restrictware is in this case address@hidden
For peoples who don't know what's address@hidden, this is a distributed
computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding,
computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. The
project uses the idle processing resources of thousands of personal
computers owned by volunteers who have installed the software on their
systems. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein
folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final
three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein
misfolding. This is of significant academic interest with major
implications for medical research into Alzheimer's disease,
Huntington's disease, and many forms of cancer, among other diseases.[1]

For a software destinated to save lifes, make it a restrictware seems
to be bad and dangerous.
The argument itself makes no sense, address@hidden (for search aliens) is
GPLed and found a great way to verify the result integrity.[2]

Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.22 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -