Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] how to scale lily's output?

From: David Ondreka
Subject: Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] how to scale lily's output?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:44:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Werner Icking wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:50:46 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: David Ondreka <address@hidden>
>
> > On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> >
> > > Doesn't
> > > \include "paper26.ly"
> > > give note heads that are large enough?
> > >
> > No, unfortunately not. They are supposed to be of the size of a cherry
> > stone, approximately. It's for children aged four or five years...
>
> MusiXTeX has 29pt noteheads. BUT:
>
> When one of our daughters was very young something small was
> lost on the floor. When my wife was looking for it my
> daugther said: Mama, I'll look for it, I've smaller eyes
> which fit better into the small holes (fissure? rift?) of
> the floor.
>
> Why do you think that 26 (pt?) isn't enough.
>
> I have sometimes the impression that things are made bigger
> for small children to make "more pages for less money".
>
> Maybe I'm wrong.
Well, you're surely not wrong that children have good eyes, which I know
myself, since I have two daughters aged three and one and a half years. I
didn't intend to claim this. But first I should inform you that it's
actually my wife who does the teaching. I spoke for her just to simplify
things, because she doesn't have access to this mailing list and still has
to learn how to use lilypond. So she asked me about larger note heads.

But if you ask me, I'd argue that the problem might not be *recognition*
of the notes, clefs, etc. but rather the *writing* (or painting) of such
objects, which children probably learn by imitating the given lines and
shapes, possibly even by redrawing them. Maybe the not yet trained hands
of small children would have motorical (does this word exist in the
english language??) difficulties when trying to paint notes of usual size.
Remember that those children have not yet learnt writing scripture (which
might be a harder problem than notes, but still), and you wouldn't
probably start them with letters in 12pt size.

The "more pages for less money" argument might play a role, though, I
should admit.

Greetings, David