Re: Tie issues

From: Christian Mondrup
Subject: Re: Tie issues
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 11:54:07 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > > You guys are a class act. It is a privilege to learn from you.
>
> I'm a little reluctant to admit this, but I really ignored the entire
> discussion on accidentals, so can I ask:
>
>   * can somebody write a *concise* summary?  Perhaps you can enter it
>     at http://appel.lilypond.org/wiki/index.php3?LilyPond
>
>   * should the default behavior of lily be changed? We're aiming for
>     late 19th cent. and early 20th century conventions
>     (ie. traditional western music notation)
>
> --

The summary as edited september 30 IMHO seems to set up the necessary
rules for contemporary notation. There is, however, another aspect of
accidentals which is not - necessarily - covered by the summary: in the
case of MIDI output from Lilypond special care must be taken when there
are multiple voices in one staff. An accidental introduced in *one*
voice must affect all subsequent instances of the note in question
(according to the summary rules) in all voices of that staff but without
explicitly printing an accidental symbol at the first occurance of the
accidental in the *other* voice(s).

Regards
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus