Re: .scm files

From: James Hammons
Subject: Re: .scm files
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:50:14 -0700

Ok, I just updated "chord-names.scm" and "american-chords.ly" to incorporate
Atte's jazz chords (c-n.scm) and supply a missing seventh chord (a-c.ly).
There's no need to use scheme in your .ly file for jazz chords:  Just use
\property ChordNames.chordNameStyle = "jazz" where appropriate.

Atte Jensen wrote:
> The standard chord structure is the 7th chords. Examples:
>
> C-E-G-B would be notated as C triangle
> C-Eb-G-B = Cm triangle
> C-Eb-Gb-Bbb = Co (no "/7" as in the american chord style)
> C-Eb-Gb-Bb = C slashed o
> C-E-G-A = C6 (no "maj" as in the american chord style )

I did check out your previous post (the one with 'atte-jazz-chords.ly) and I
saw that I was missing dominant 7th flat 5.  D'oh!  Cmaj6 spelled as C6 is
also probably better, so that would make only 5 deviations from the american
style.  I know of the "+" being shorthand for "aug", but I think that comes
down to a matter of taste (I know more than a few people who hate using "+"
for "aug", but I couldn't begin to tell you why).

> So I'll have to try editing chord-names.scm again to see if I can get the
> changes here to be reflected in the output...

Look at my chord-names.scm for the appropriate place (after
'names-alist-jazz') to make any changes you need to in order to make a
proper "jazz" style and post it here so it can be incorporated...

-- Shamus